Lemon & Blueberry Cake
Having some guests over for afternoon tea? Or simply want to indulge a little bit (the healthy way). Try recreating this melt-in-your-mouth gluten free, refined sugar free, dairy free blueberry and lemon cake recipe.
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- ½ cup Heilala Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup liquid or softened honey
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon Heilala Vanilla Extract or Heilala Vanilla Paste
- ½ teaspoon Heilala Ground Vanilla Powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 heaped cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 6 hours, rinsed and drained well
- ¼ cup melted Heilala Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid or softened honey
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Seeds of 1 Heilala Vanilla Bean
Method | Serves 10
Preheat the oven to 165⁰C. Grease and line a 21cm round cake tin with baking paper.
In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients, except the blueberries.
Gently fold in the blueberries to avoid staining the whole cake blue. Do not over mix.
Pour mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until very smooth (or use a small food processor).
Add more lemon juice if you need to thin frosting to ensure it is smooth.
Place frosting in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to firm up.
Spread frosting over the top of the cake.
Thanks to our friends at Heilala Vanilla for this recipe.