Chocolate for Breakfast: Five Healthy Recipes
By Melissa Fine, Nutritionist and GoodnessMe Box Health Editor.
Yep, you can start your day on the right foot with chocolate, but it has to be the pure stuff. I’m talking antioxidant rich cacao powder, chocolate in its raw state that’s free from nasties like refined sugar and trans fats. A good quality brand of 100% cocoa powder also gets the tick of approval…These recipes should have you jumping out of bed in the morning!
1) Almond Butter Cacao Breakfast Bars
Makes 6-8 bars.
- ½ Cup almond butter
- 2/3 Cup Medjool dates, washed and pitted
- 4 Tablespoon raw almonds (or sub with cashews)
- 2 Tablespoon cacao or pure cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoon shredded coconut
- To serve: Unsweetened Greek yoghurt (or coconut milk yoghurt), strawberries and/or blueberries
- Add first 4 ingredients to a strong blender (I use an Omniblend) and blend on medium-high until everything is evenly combined; The mixture should become sticky and dough-like, with a few almond pieces in tact. You may need to add 1-2 Tablespoon of water to get everything moving.
- Spoon mixture out of blender and press onto a small, baking paper lined biscuit/slice tray until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle coconut on top, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or until set (Place in freezer for a firmer bar).
- Remove from fridge/freezer and cut into rectangular bars. When ready to serve, remove from tray with a cake knife. Serve with a side of yoghurt and berries.
2) Choc-Banana Overnight Oats
Served cold, this is the perfect way to enjoy your oats in the summer.
- 1/3 Cup traditional rolled oats
- 1 medium (or 2/3 of a large) very ripe banana
- ½ Cup milk of choice (I use coconut or rice milk, or a combo of the two)
- 1 teaspoon cacao or pure cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds (or sub with ground flaxseed)
- 1 Tablespoon raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon dessicated coconut
- 1 teaspoon rice malt/coconut syrup (optional)
- Mash ½ the banana, leaving the remaining half in the skin.
- Combine oats, mashed banana, milk, cacao/cocoa and chia in a deep, single-serve bowl. Mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the a.m., top with the remaining banana, thinly sliced, almonds, coconut and syrup to bring it all together.
3) Iced Chocolate
A great coffee alternative when you need a bit of a caffeine hit in the morning with your breakkie. Thanks Crio Brü for the recipe!
Simply place ½ cup Crio Brü Vega Reál cocoa granules (You can buy these online and from selected health food stores) and 2 cups water in a saucepan and heat until lightly boiling. Simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly and then strain out the grounds by either running it through a coffee filter or using a French press. Refrigerate and use as needed. Add one part Crio Concentrate to one part cold water in a glass full of ice.
Top with a little milk or coconut milk…Now this should put some pep in your step!
Enjoy straight up, or crumble one of these on top of your smoothie or oats to bump up the protein, healthy fat and fibre content of your breakkie for more staying power.
- 350 g pecans, toasted
- 100 g sunflower seeds, toasted
- 100 g pepitas, toasted
- 60 g cacao powder
- 30 g pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp Crio Brü Mojito cocoa granules (Love this stuff! It’s a blend of spearmint, lime zest and cocoa grounds)
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp Heilala vanilla bean paste (or sub with 3 drops vanilla essence)
- generous pinch pink salt flakes
- a little water as needed
- shredded coconut as needed
- Place nuts and seeds into a strong blender and pulse to form a coarse meal.
- Add remaining ingredients except water and coconut and blend on medium-high until smooth and with a few nutty, crunchy bits remaining. If not holding a shape when you pinch it together, or if mixture looks crumbly, add a little water until you get a good paste texture that will hold together.
- Form into balls, roll in coconut and refrigerate until use.
[Modified recipe courtesy of Crio Brü and Tenina. See original recipe here: http://tenina.com/recipes/amaze-balls]
5) Choc-ado Super Smoothie
Don’t knock it till you try it. Creamy and mild in flavour, avocado pairs perfectly with rich cacao in this creamy liquid breakfast.
- 1/2 a very ripe, frozen banana – Freeze with the skin on and remove skin before blending
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 1/3 of a medium avocado
- 2 teaspoon cacao or pure cocoa powder
- ¾ Cup milk of choice
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- handful ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
Throw spinach and then the rest of the ingredients excluding the coconut into
a blender; Blend on high until smooth. Allow to sit for a few minutes so that the
chia seeds work their magic and absorb some of the liquid, making it extra
thick. Pour into a tall glass or wine glass, or a bowl so that you can eat it with a
spoon! Top with shredded coconut and sip mindfully ;)
Mojito: Refreshing, all natural spearmint and lime zest blended with premium, chocolaty cocoa grounds. Drink in the summer with this incredibily refreshing Crio Brü. The unique blend makes the perfect "Brew Hot, Serve Cold" beverage for laying poolside or a new party cooler.
Vega Reál: The Vega Reál is one of the most fertile valleys in the Dominican Republic. Translated as “Royal Meadow,” this lush, tropical garden found in the mountain highlands nurtures the finest cacao plants. The earthy-toned beans are harvested at the peak of freshness and then crafted to reveal a luxurious, complex flavor that hints of strawberries and citrus with a wonderful cocoa aroma. These incredible natural flavors come to life when you brew a cup of Vega Reál, made from 100% pure, perfectly roasted cocoa beans.