Healthy Gluten-Free Snack Swaps That Actually Taste Good
By Melissa Fine, GoodnessMe Nutritionist & Product Advisor
All gluten-free snacks are healthy, right? Wrong. With countless brands releasing their takes on the gluten-free snacks that are trending, the gluten-free snack aisle has become a little confusing.
Whether you have a hankering for something sweet or savoury, we’re here to show you how to choose the gluten-free snack option that’s better-for-you, simply by comparing the ingredient lists.
Bookmark these swaps for the next time you’re stocking up on gluten-free snacks
Swap a Low Carb Caramel Bar for Tasti’s Salted Caramel Wholefood Balls
Spot the difference. One look at each of these products’ ingredients lists and it’s clear that Tasti’s version wins for being the least processed. When comparing two products from the same category, more often than not, the one with the shorter ingredients list will also be the one with real wholefood ingredients you actually recognise (and no highly processed ingredients like artificial sweeteners and soy protein isolate).
Swap a Quest Bar for a 180 Nutrition Superfood Protein Bar
We’d reach for a 180 Nutrition Superfood Protein Bar over a Quest Bar every time because it has a shorter AND sweeter list of ingredients. Props to 180 Nutrition for using real ingredients to add flavour and nutritional value to their bars - like mineral and fibre-rich date paste instead of the artificial sweetener sucralose for sweetness.
Swap Fantastic Delites for Ceres Organics Brown Rice Crackers
We say YES to snacks made with a short and sweet list of real ingredients...and NO to the ones with:
- A long ingredient list - usually a red flag for a highly processed product
- Numbered ingredients - a red flag for synthetic additives
- Flavour Enhancers - a sneaky term for MSG
- Refined flours and sugars - these offer zero nutritional value
You’ll find none of the above in Ceres Organics’ wholegrain Brown Rice Crackers; once you try their moreish Sea Salt & Vinegar flavour, you’ll never go back to the super processed version.
Swap Kettle Chips for Proper Chips
Three things we look for when choosing our chippies (because life's too short to never eat them):
- No added sugar; yep, the sweet stuff even manages to sneak its way into savoury snacks.
- No ingredients that sound like they came from a lab, a red flag for synthetic additives.
- A short and simple ingredients list (Pro-tip: when comparing two products from the same category, the one with fewer ingredients will probably be the least processed option)
And that's why Proper Crisps get our big tick of approval. They also happen to be delicious.
Swap Rice Pudding for Macro Mike’s Plant Protein Pudding
Unlike a grab-and-go rice pudding, Macro Mike Protein Pudding has loads to offer in the nutrition department:
- 21.3g of protein, which helps steady blood sugar and curb cravings.
- Less than one teaspoon of sugar per serve, compared to almost five teaspoons' worth of sugar in that rice pudding.
- A good amount of fibre, thanks to almond and fava bean protein (The fibre content on the nutritional info panel isn't mandatory, so if the fibre content isn’t stated, that’s probably because it’s low in fibre).
Available in six fun flavours (think Chocolate Fudge and Banana Custard), you’re sure to find a Macro Mike pud that tickles your fancy.